Village of Arcadia
Phone: (308) 789-6552
Phone: (308) 789-6160
Phone: (308) 789-6184
HUSKIE WALL OF FAME NOMINEES NEEDED
The deadline for submitting new nominees for consideration for induction into the Huskie Wall of Fame for 2015 is quickly approaching.
View More Information
Public Input Sought for Community Needs
Arcadia, Nebraska, which has a population of 359, is located in Valley County near the Middle Loup River on Highway 70 between Ord and Broken Bow. Arcadia is an hour northwest of Grand Island and Kearney. The town was laid out in 1885. It was named by Mrs. Samuel Hawthorne, an early Postmistress. The name means "a region or scene of simple pleasure and quiet."
As the population grew, churches and schools were built. Congregations were established in the 1880's for Methodist, Congregational, Catholic and Baptist denominations. Eventually, churches were constructed in the town proper. An Independent Bible Church was also later organized. The Catholic Church was destroyed in the 1974 tornado. In 1933, the school house burned and was replaced by the present structure. Pioneer spirit has kept Arcadia alive. Many third, fourth, and fifth generation families still reside there.
Every five years, a school alumni gathering is held over the 4th of July. Arcadia has unbelievable strength to draw people together, from coast to coast, who's roots bring them home! Arcadia truly is "A Home to Come Home to!"
Copyright © 2003 Nebraska Public Power District. All rights reserved.